Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sausage rolls!

Having been allergic to preservatives, colourings and flavourings and MSG (not to mention raw onion, including raw garlic and any other thing of the onion family when raw, salmon, sword fish, cobbler- violently!!) Eating out is often a bit tricky. sometimes I just decide that I will put up with the consequences- except for the cobbler ones I avoid any fish that I am unsure of. But the other thing I miss are things like the occasional sausage and pies and sausage rolls.

Finally after years it is becoming far easier to find in the average supermarket preservative, colouring and flavouring free foods. Just recently our local "Growers Fresh" gourmet deli supermarket has started to stock organic gluten free sausages. I LOVE them. And at about $1.40 each sausage they are extravagant as far as sausages go I would never have thought I would look upon the humble sausage as a gourmet treat. The other day I made a good old sausage curry.

Nothing inspiring just fried onions, sausages, curry powder, diced potato, A tin of crushed tomatoes a dash of water and a preservative free stock cubeand a sprinkle of frozen peas and corn. YUM!!! A childhood dish.

On the weekend I got a sheet of puff pastry sliced it in half . I removed the sausage meat from it's casing and lay it along the centre of the pastry (about two sausages for each pastry half) I rolled them up and chopped them into small "party sausage rolls". After about 20mins in a hot oven, Finally after YEARS of salivating at staff morning teas I could eat some sausage rolls!

No comments: