Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Spaghetti and Meatballs

After I had the family over for dinner my nice text me to ask me for thr recipe. I realised my recipes are more like lose suggestions. This is the instructions I emailed to her.
Ok here goes this is what I did for the dinner we had.
Into a big bowl put....
1.5 kg of good quality mince meat- not the cheapest one but it does not have to be the super fine choice brand one, as a little fat in the mince improves the flavour.
Sometimes I add onion ( I can't remember if I did that on the last occasion) but if you do it must be diced finely and fried to a light golden brown and cooled before adding to the raw mince. usually I add 1 onion but for this quantity I would have used 2.
add a good pinch or shake rather of dried marjoram or oregano (about a tspn. maybe a bit more in such a big quantity)
A good slurp of preservative and colour free tomato sauce (Hinze brand) about a table spn or more per 500g I think)
a couple of eggs (only one if you have between 500g and 1kg closer to 1kg and over use 2 eggs
A good grounding of sea salt and a bit of pepper.

Now get your hands messy squishing it all together until well combined. (wash your hands)
Using a desert spoon measure out even quantities of meat and fashion into meatballs.
Fry in a heavy based pan with a slurp of good quality olive oil- this will stay in the pan so make sure it is good as it will flavour the sauce. Don’t add to much or it will make the sauce oily and unpleasant, just enough to help the frying process. (At this point if you have used cheaper mince you may want to drain off most of the fat but leave all the caramelised stuff on the base of the pan as it adds flavour.

now when the meatballs are cooked pour over 1 (or two bottles for a big quantity ) of passata or sugo that’s the tomato pure in a bottle which has only tomato and salt. crumble in 1 or two "massel" brand salt reduced preservative free msg free natural stock cubes. Allow it to simmer long enough for the flavours to develop and the sauce to thicken or until you are all so hungry you can't wait any longer.

Serve with your favourite type of el dente pasta and parmesan cheese that you have to grate yourself (not the yucky powdered type)

Enjoy!
(this is how my grandmother used to sign off all her recipes)

No comments: